Monday, January 19, 2009

Mainstream Music=Shit

(This posting has been made possible by the power of ramen. Yay, ramen!)

I'm in a relatively good mood today. I got to sleep in until 11 a.m. (MLK is a-okay in my book!) Then I watched a few episodes of "Stuff Happens" with Bill Nye the Science Guy, can't go wrong with that. Then the aforementioned ramen lunch. Oh, and my mother is making her homemade sauce again, and it smells SOOO good. Now, onto the main topic: I hate most of the music that is out today.

Everyone just sounds completely the same, and you could divide every artist that has a record deal into approximately one of four groups: pop stars, rappers, pussy emo bands (looking at you, Tokio Hotel), and alternative bands that lean more toward rock but suck anyways. Why, or how, did this happen? I think the main reasons are that it's too easy to get a record deal nowadays, and that people can get hooked on just a simple, catchy beat with stupid lyrics that don't even make sense. Why do you think rap artists are so successful? Back in the day of the greats like The Who, Led Zeppelin and Billy Joel, you could have been playing for years in some back alley nightclubs, making just enough money to make it to the next gig, before you were finally recognized. You got a lot of good lyric material from experiences like that, not to mention the times were a lot more turbulent back then, and that's what made them so great.

But you know, there are some truly great bands out there today that not everyone knows about. Those bands that sound just unique enough to separate them from the sea of clones. And to prove my point, I've made a little playlist that you should check out:

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/14688125707

Not only does it include some modern bands, but also the ones that paved the way for them and revolutionized music as we know it. I'll be adding more songs to it as time goes by, so keep checking back periodically.

Now if you'll excuse me, I feel the need to play a mad drum solo...

1 comment:

  1. Sweet playlist Pete, really good hits on their, some of our own work, nice!

    ReplyDelete